Thursday, March 5, 2009

VNC with two monitors

Note : This article is true for Redhat Linux.

My users need big display because of type of their software tools. In this article, I will explain how to modify VNC's configuration to support two monitors.

I assume that the VNC is already working fine for other (single monitor) resolution. If this is the case, then go on reading. If you yet to setup VNC from scratch, it may not be the right article.

In my case, I did the two monitors setup in three steps: (note that my servers are already running VNC)


STEP 1) Edit /etc/services to add a new VNC port. In my case I added following line in /etc/services:

vnc-2500x1000x24 5976/tcp

STEP 2) Edit /etc/xinetd.d/vncserver to add new resolution entry given below:

############# FOR DUAL MONITOR #########################################################################
service vnc-2500x1000x24
{
disable = no
socket_type = stream
protocol = tcp
port = 5976
wait = no
user = demo
server = /usr/bin/Xvnc
server_args = -inetd -query localhost -once -geometry 2500x1000 -depth 24 -SecurityTypes=None
}
#########################################################################################################


STEP 3) Restart xinetd service by following command:

# service xinetd restart


Once above three steps are done, then users can connect to VNC using their favorite VNC viewer (in my case RealVNC) to the IP address and port number 76.

For example 10.10.10.10:76

No comments: